Thursday, October 24, 2013

What I Ate Wednesday: Whole30 Edition



It's our last day of Whole30!  This, combined with the fact that it's Wednesday, seemed like a perfect reason to do a What I Ate Wednesday post.  Here we go!


Breakfast:  Homemade tomato soup



First things first - look at that placemat!  We have a dining room now, with a table in it!  One that we can sit and eat at!  No more eating on the bed!  No more food pictures with rumpled sheets in the background!  Are you excited about this?  Because you should be.  But anyway, the soup is very quick and easy to make.  I'll probably post the recipe in a couple of days.


Post-workout snack:  1/2 a can of pumpkin puree, microwaved with pumpkin pie spice and ground ginger

Those are Star Wars coasters in the background, in case anyone's curious.  They're Kevin's.

The Whole30 program recommends starchy vegetables for post-workout, rather than fruit.  In my internet travels I found an article (which I unfortunately can't seem to find again now -- I'll keep looking) that explained that while the fructose in fruit will replace the glycogen stores in your liver but not your muscles, the glucose found in vegetables like sweet potatoes and squashes do help refuel your muscles and therefore are a better option.


Snack #2:  Macadamia nuts and raisins.



Usually I prefer walnuts and raisins, but we were out of walnuts.  As predicted in my last post, I promptly fell asleep after eating this.  Oh well.



Lunch:  Leftover Moroccan Mash

Look at that artistic off-center picture....

Basically it's diced sweet potatoes cooked with ground meat and spices.  Simple but very delicious.



Dinner:  Salad with pears, avocado, and pistachios.



Based off of this recipe.  I love fruit, nuts, and avocados in salad, so it was pretty perfect.



Snack #3:  Fried plantains with cinnamon.

This is not my picture, this is Stupid Easy Paleo's picture.

We LOVE this snack.  I use this recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo, and it is, as the blog name suggests, stupid easy.  As you can likely tell from the upgraded fanciness of the picture, I didn't take it.  We ate them too quickly!


I can't believe we made it through an entire 30 days!  We're pretty proud of ourselves, let me tell you.  Tomorrow we'll start to re-introduce dairy, and we have all sorts of plans involving cheese and ice cream.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment