Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pudding for breakfast

I don't really like pudding.  I know several people who find this inexplicable, but were you to ask me what I wanted at any given moment the answer would never be pudding.  With that said, I was pretty pleased with my choice of this fro-yo pudding concoction for breakfast this morning.  Maybe it was the illicit thrill of eating something dessert-like so early in the morning (you know...I live a quiet life).

I found this recipe for Frozen Greek Yogurt Pudding on the Women's Health website.  I think it's supposed to be for dessert, but based on the ingredients (Greek yogurt, peanut butter, banana, honey) I could see no reason not to eat it for breakfast.  The recipe makes 4 servings but my boyfriend doesn't like peanut butter, somehow, so I halved the recipe.  I also omitted the chocolate chunks (mainly because I didn't have any) but added a decent amount of cinnamon.  It only needs to freeze for about 2 hours but I ended up letting it freeze overnight.

Right out of the freezer it was very hard, too hard to really eat:


I left it on the counter for about a half an hour (or however long it took me to remember I had pulled it out of the freezer :p).  At that point it had thawed around the edges, and after mixing it all together the texture was more pudding-like:



The consistency of the pudding was a little thicker after being frozen and thawed a bit than it had been straight out of the blender prior to freezing, but I'm sure you could skip the freezing step if you wanted to.

All in all, this was pretty tasty.  One serving is just over 200 calories (although this will vary based on the fat content of the yogurt and peanut butter you use).  It didn't completely fill me up on it's own, but with the addition of a cinnamon raisin bagel thin it made a nice breakfast.  I might try throwing in a scoop of protein powder next time, and maybe even some chocolate chunks :).  

No comments:

Post a Comment