Friday, February 8, 2013

JCore Day 11


Hello hello, everyone!  I had a pretty good day today.  I made some new pals, and I went in water for the first time since like August (I'm the worst person to live in Hawaii, I have no appreciation for beaches)!  Here's some other stuff that my day contained:


The Workout:
Today I did Fire Fit again, but it wasn’t really great.  The warm-up involves a lot of skipping, which immediately made my head hurt so I took it down a notch and did the modified moves (which mainly involve marching in place instead skipping).  Throughout the workout I felt like I was moving slower and at a lower intensity than normal, and I took a lot more breaks than usual.  So, I don’t really feel awesome about how this workout went today, but at the very least it was better than nothing.  I also had TRX class in the afternoon, and that was really good.  The instructor switched up the format of the class today so that the focus was more on strength training than cardio.  This was good for me because I love strength training :).  After TRX, I went to my new pal Sonya's apartment to swim in her pool (although I don't know how to swim so it was mostly just floating).


The Food

Today starts the first day of Phase 2 of the nutrition plan, which means no cheese or bread, and only one serving of fruit.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with pumpkin and turkey.


I’ve had pumpkin in my oatmeal before, but usually when I do I add maple syrup and cinnamon and pecans.  Since I’m not supposed to be having added sugar, this time I added salt, pepper, onion powder, allspice, a little ginger powder, and some chopped cracked black pepper-flavored turkey (I believe we’ve already discussed how I feel about black pepper-flavored things).  Pumpkin tends to work just as well in savory dishes as in sweet ones, so this turned out well.


Lunch: Slow-cooker pork with Brussels sprouts and butternut squash.


This pork was super yummy and super easy.  I mainly used this brown sugar pork recipe, except that I used powdered garlic instead of garlic cloves, and I skipped the additional brown sugar/cinnamon topping at the end.  I know that this goes against the JCore no-added-sugar rules, but this was the only recipe I could find on short notice that I had all the ingredients for (I realized I needed to start cooking something for the next day about 10 minutes before I had meant to be in bed).  And it’s delicious, so I’m only kind of sorry.


Snack:  Greek yogurt with applesauce and Wheat Chex cereal.

I almost completely forgot to take a picture!  
Since I’m assuming cottage cheese is included in the category of cheese (which I shouldn’t be eating), I imagine I’ll be having a lot of yogurt over the next 10 days.   


Dinner:  Grilled Tequila Chicken & Portobello Mushroom Stack from Big City Diner


After pool time, Sonya and I went to get dinner.  I had originally planned on getting a salad, but then this chicken dish looked good, and I thought it would be fairly healthy as long as I asked for the tequila cream sauce on the side.  It's a good thing I did, as it turns out, because it was kind of gloppy and somehow managed to not actually taste like anything.  The chicken itself was delicious - although I didn't remember until I had eaten an entire piece that I wasn't supposed to have the cheese on top...oops.  Definitely no cheese tomorrow!  The other thing was that I took a bite of mushroom and could tell immediately that it had been cooked in butter, as had the spinach.  They were both super good and I still ate them, but it reminds me that I should probably ask how things are prepared before I order them.  I ate all of the veggies, one of the chicken breasts, and about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the brown rice and brought the rest home.


Alright, so if you are super observant you may have noticed that I changed the kind of cereal I put in my yogurt today.  Recently I’ve been liking Corn Bran Crunch cereal in my yogurt, but then I noticed I was developing a tendency to save up most (if not all) of my carb portions until the end of the day, and then eat them all as dry Corn Bran Crunch right before I went to bed.  This is probably not the greatest of ideas.  I had read somewhere that Wheat Chex is a good cereal for snacking because of it’s high fiber and vitamin content, so last night at the grocery store I decided to compare labels.  Compared to Corn Bran Crunch, Wheat Chex is lower in sugar and sodium, higher in potassium and fiber, and has only about 5 ingredients 4 of which I can readily identify (the 5th is a preservative, that’s fine).  The one thing Corn Bran Crunch had going for it was that it is much lower in calories (90 calories for 3/4 cup, vs. 160 calories for the same amount of Wheat Chex).  But, I knew that wasn’t the real reason I wanted them.  I wanted them because they taste like Cap’n Crunch.  

In that moment I was reminded of an episode of one of my favorite TV shows.  There’s a scene where one of the characters is talking to the town psychologist, looking for advice.  The psychologist has this really great line where she says, “You already know what you should do; you’re just looking for permission to do what you want.”  For some reason that line has always stayed with me, and last night in the store it came back.  So, I got the Wheat Chex.  I told myself that if I was really sad about not having the Corn Bran Crunch I could buy it again next time, but honestly the Wheat Chex are fine.  They are a little less sweet, but I feel like this is probably a good thing.  At the very least it will probably discourage me from using them as my ONLY carb source. 



No comments:

Post a Comment