Tuesday, February 26, 2013

JCore Recap: Days 26-30

Okay.  So.  I've finally decided that I'm so far behind on my posts that I'll never recover.  I can't blog every day!  I just can't!  So instead of trying to catch up, I'll just give you a look at the important stuff:


1) I got into a PhD program!



In January I was informed that I had been conditionally accepted into the University of Missouri's Integrative Anatomy program.  The condition was that I needed to have a source of funding, since they don't accepted students without funding.  The Integrative Anatomy department nominated me for the university's Life Sciences Fellowship program, and I found out last Friday that I have been awarded one of these fellowships.  So, now I have funding and can be officially accepted into the program!  I haven't heard back from all of the PhD programs I applied to yet, but Mizzou was my top choice so I'm totally going there.  I'm so excited :D.


2) I'm totally a Warrior!


Last Saturday I did a second Warrior Dash, and it was completely awesome.  FYI, my shirt used to be teal. My pants used to be black.  I was always brown, but perhaps not quite that shade of brown :p.


3) JCore Fit Test #4.


Not too shabby!


4) I stress ate, but it was totally healthy so it's probably fine!


So, on Sunday afternoon, my car died again.  It's all fixed and fine now, but at the time I had to have it towed, and the repair shop was closed for the day, and I had to take vacation time from work to get it taken care of, and I was not a happy camper.  It's probably a good thing I'm trying not to eat sugar or high-fat dairy, because if I had thought I was allowed to eat ice cream I totally would have.  Instead I had a microwave oatmeal muffin thingo.  Still technically stress eating, but not nearly as bad as it could have been, all things considered.   I have recently received a request for more recipes on this blog, so here's one now:

Oatmeal Microwave Muffin
Adapted from Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth
Serves 1

Ingredients:
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 banana, mashed
2 T dried cranberries
1 T peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice)
1/4 t baking powder
Cinnamon and vanilla to taste (probably like 1/2 t of each, I don't really measure these things)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mash the banana then stir in the remaining ingredients.  Spray a microwave-safe mug with cooking spray, and pour in the batter.  Microwave for 90 seconds.  As it cooks, the muffin will rise over the top of the mug; this is fine, it won't fall over, and it will sink back down when the microwave stops.  When the time is up, check the top of the muffin.  If it still seems a little wet, stick it back in the microwave for another 20 seconds.  Then, turn out onto a plate, let cool for like a second or however long you can wait, and enjoy!


This was crazy easy to make, and tasted pretty terrific.  Thanks to the banana and cranberries you won't mind that there's no sugar added.  I haven't tried it yet, but I bet this would be good with chopped nuts mixed into the batter as well.  I thought it would make a good post-workout snack, so I made another to bring to Boot Camp with me:


It worked out really well, I think, so this might become a regular thing.


Okay, well, I think that's it for now!  Maybe I'll try to blog the last 10 days of JCore....or maybe I won't.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment