Saturday, February 16, 2013

JCore Day 18


Again, I'm really late with this post.  Sorry!

Happy Valentine’s Day!  Valentine's Day is my third favorite holiday, although I didn't really do much for it this year.  I did wear purple and red, but that was about it.  I didn't even give out any cards!  I used to love that in middle/high school....especially all of the candy that usually comes with the cards.  It's probably not a coincidence that my top 3 holidays (Halloween and Christmas are 1 and 2) are highly associated with sweets.  This is actually the first Valentines Day in recent memory where my meals were not composed primarily of chocolate :p.

The Workout
Today’s JCore workout was Cardio Core 4x4.  I also had TRX in the afternoon.  It was our last class with our current instructor :(.  She was such a great teacher, and I am sad to see her go.  The workout itself was good.  I noticed myself instinctively tightening my abs on certain exercises, which I haven’t really noticed before.  I think that it’s good, though, I think it’s a sign that I’m improving.


The Food

Breakfast: Peanut butter protein shake and brown rice with pumpkin.


I left out the banana from my shake because I wanted to save my fruit portion for dessert so I could use it for chocolate-covered strawberries :).  


 I can't remember now why I left out the almond butter this time (I was probably trying to save my fat portions for dinner), but let me just say that just rice and pumpkin together is NOT as good.



Lunch: Salad with chicken and mixed veggies.


For this salad I used about 4 ounces of canned chicken and half a cup of frozen mixed vegetables.  I don’t really like salads that are completely cold, so I heat up the chicken and veggies in the microwaves before adding them to the lettuce.  For the dressing, I mixed together equal amounts of hummus and salsa (about ¼ cup each).  I got multiple comments about how it looked like vomit (don’t  you love it when people do that to your lunch?), but it was tasty so I didn't care!



Dinner: Special Valentine’s Day Whole Foods food!


Kevin and I had decided we didn’t really want to do anything major for Valentine’s Day this year (mainly because we're poor).  So, for dinner we headed out to Whole Foods to see what we could see.  It figured it would be cheaper than going to a fancy restaurant but still kind of special since we don't normally get prepared meals from Whole Foods.  I decided on this poached salmon brown rice sushi.  There were some pre-made packages waiting already, but the person at the counter was nice enough to make me a roll with no sesame seeds and with the sauce on the side.  I also scooped up some honey-glazed carrot slices and a few slices of grilled portabella mushroom.  


We took everything  home and ate while watching a movie on Netflix.  It was called Take Me Home, about a woman who hires a taxi driver to take her from New York to California.  It was pretty good, a lot better than you might expect given that the lead actor was also the writer, producer, and director, and that the lead actress was his wife.


Dessert: Chocolate-covered strawberries!


I was seriously waiting for these all day.  They were SO expensive – about $7 for 4 strawberries – and I almost didn’t get them.  But I really, really wanted them, so we decided we could swing it.  For your information, no, I did not share these with Kevin, he had his own set :p.  


And then I had gummy vitamins and went to bed!  I ended up going over my calorie budged a little, but not by much so I think it's okay :).

4 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that Karah, without any knowledge of our conversation on Valentine's Day, had chocolate covered strawberries for me when I got home. That she had made herself because she saw them in the store and thought they were too expensive. They were incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome. I thought about making my own, but I couldn't motivate myself enough. Good for Karah (and for you!) for doing it!

      Delete
  2. I can make one guess on who said your food looked like vomit.

    ReplyDelete