Tuesday, February 12, 2013

JCore Day 15


Okay, everyone – this is serious business.  There were these chocolate oatmeal cookie thingos in the kitchen today (I think they were essentially these), and I super wanted them so much.  Every time I walked into the kitchen, I couldn’t help peeking into the box they were in (and also taking a little sniff if no one was looking; they smelled great), and I continued to think about them even when I went back to my desk.  I didn’t have one, but REALLY wanted to!  I think they might be the first thing I make after I’m done with JCore – although probably with almond butter instead of peanut butter so Kevin will eat them too. 

Okay.  Now that we’ve talked about that, back to our regularly scheduled programming:


The Workout: Rev Up
Even though I’m technically only on the second week of the program, it’s been about a month since I last did this workout.  I had completely forgotten about how many arm circles and lunges I’m expected to do.  'A lot' is the answer, I now recall.  Today also was the first day of Boot Camp – more on that later.


The Food

Breakfast: Oatmeal with pumpkin and chicken.


It took me soooo long to figure out what I was going to eat for breakfast today.  Normally if I can’t think of anything my go-to is a bagel thin or English muffin with almond butter, but that wasn’t an option this time.  I’ll be happier when this ban on bread is up (assuming I’m not actually secretly allergic to bread, which I seriously doubt).


Lunch: Chicken curry with green beans, chickpeas, and brown rice.

Leftovers from last night.  Apparently I forgot to take a picture, though.  Oops.


Snack 1:  Greek yogurt, applesauce, and pecans.


I swapped out my normal cereal for pecans so that I could use that carb portion for oatmeal in the morning instead.  I was a little worried about how it would be, but I actually really liked it.  The nuts gave enough crunch that I didn’t miss the cereal at all.  I’m sure I’ll use cereal again sometime, but it’s nice to know I have more than one option now.


Dinner: Pork chop with butternut squash and grilled red and yellow peppers.


Yes, there is half of a pork chop underneath that pile of veggies.  I somehow managed to eat almost all my protein portions in my breakfast, lunch, and snack, so by the time I got to dinner I only had one portion remaining.  One portion equals one ounce, or about a quarter of a porkchop.  However, I didn’t really think a quarter of a pork chop was going to cut it for dinner and I still had room in my calorie budget, so I decided to have half a pork chop instead, which was about 2.5 ounces.  The grilled peppers I bought frozen (I think from Whole Foods).  I started them in the microwave and then threw them in the skillet after the pork chops were done cooking to finish up.


Snack 2: Pecans and low-sodium Triscuits.

Again, no picture.  Right before bed I noticed that my calories for the day were lower than I would have liked, so I just grabbed them to eat quickly while Kevin and I read (we're reading The Night Circus together; it's so good!)


Alright, so, Boot Camp.  Since this was the first day, we didn’t actually do any working out.  Instead we spent most of our time filling out data sheets (mostly to make sure we’re healthy enough to do this class) and discussing what we can expect from the next 8 weeks.  Our instructor is named Simone, and the first thing she told us was that we should not expect this class to be easy.  “It’s not supposed to be easy, it’s supposed to be effective,” she said.  However, since our first workout is on Wednesday we should expect to be more sore than we have ever been in our lives by Friday. 

Simone also gave us a few ground rules to get us started.  We weighed in yesterday, and we’ll weigh in at the end of the 8 weeks, but other than that we’re supposed to put our scales in the back of the closet and forget about them (“Bury them, burn them, drown them,” she said).  She doesn’t want us to be worried or confused if/when our weight reflected our growing muscles more than our dropping body fat.  We need to keep a notebook to track our meals, exercise, and our moods, and in general, eat clean, eat often, and eat small portions.  Simone also wants us to watch Supersize Me and Fast Food Nation, just in case any of us don’t realize that fast food is bad for you, or something. 

On Wednesday, a nutritionist will come in to talk to us about what we should be eating.  This is the main thing I’m worried about – that the nutrition plan promoted by this class will clash with what I’m doing for JCore and I won’t know what to do.  I also think they might want us to eat food groups in the proportions suggested by My Plate (the thing that replaced the Food Pyramid), which is a lot higher in carbs than the JCore nutrition plan recommends.  Other than that, though, I’m pretty excited to get started.  I have been thinking about personal training recently, and it sounds like this class might be similar.  I think that Simone will really push me and make me see what I’m capable of, and that’s what I need.  I’m ready to work hard, I’m ready to be sore.  Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment