Wednesday, February 13, 2013

JCore Day 17

My car broke down!  I was on my way to work when the dashboard display started beeping and flashing a 'check charging system' message.  I pulled over onto a side street (thankfully I hadn't gotten onto the highway yet) and called Kevin so he could Google the message for me.  Based on what he found he determined that the car wasn't okay to drive, so I needed to call AAA and have them send me a tow truck.  This, as you can imagine, completely ruined my plans to get to work early so I could leave early and go to Boot Camp.  I called my dad to let him know what was going on (not that he could really do anything about it from all the way across the country), and the first thing he said was although it sounded like an alternator issues, he sincerely hoped that it wasn't because those tend to be pretty expensive to replace.  The tow truck brought me and my car to an AAA-approved repair place to be checked out.  I took the bus home, and after a couple of hours they called with their diagnosis: it was indeed the alternator.  Of course.  Parts and labor came out to just under $600, plus another $27 or so for the initial check-up.

My brother's car actually broke down last week due to engine troubles caused by the fact that he hadn't had an oil change in a while, so since my car was going to be out of commission for a bit anyway my dad wanted me to get an oil change as well.  I haven't even though about changing the oil in the 6 months that I've owned the car (and who knows the last time the previous owner had done it), so it was good idea.  It was also another $50.

Did you think that was it?  That wasn't it.  A few more hours go by and I receive another phone call: they've fixed the alternator, everything is all set with that - but.  But my battery is weak and could go at any time.  I was going to save replacing it for another day, but my dad convinced me that this was a bad idea.  I don't want to miss ANOTHER day of work because my car won't start one morning, or be stuck somewhere weird and not be able to get home.  So, I got a new battery.  Add $150 to the total bill.  I finally got my car back at about 5:30pm (aka the time Boot Camp should have been ending), and my lucky self got a $50 discount for being an AAA member, bringing my total to a mere $717.54!

In case you couldn't tell, the moral of this story is I'm poor now.  At least my car works, I guess.  For now...


No workout today.  It was an off day for JCore, I missed Boot Camp, my gym bag was in the car so I couldn't really do anything during the day, and by the time I got the car back I was in a bad mood and didn't feel like doing anything.


The Food

Breakfast: I totally made this omelette all by myself!

Omelette made with egg whites, canned chicken, and broccoli. 
With all the car issues this morning, I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast until about 4 hours after I had originally planned to.  The upside was that I was eating at home (instead of at work like I normally do), so I had much more freedom in choosing what to eat.  My original plan was to have butternut squash soup with brown rice, but why eat soup when you can eat an omelette?!

Why indeed!

Normally, I'm a scrambled eggs kind of girl out of necessity; I tend to ruin omelettes.  Kevin usually makes my omelettes for me, but he was still asleep, and I could think of nothing lamer than waking him up just so he could cook for me :P.  But it was fine because I didn't even need any help!  And it only fell apart a little bit!  I  call this progress, folks.


Lunch: Chicken curry with chickpeas, broccoli, and green beans.


This is what I originally packed for lunch, which is why it's in a tupperware instead of on a plate.



Snack 1: Chic Naturals Hawaiian Sea Salt & Herb dry roasted chickpeas.





Snack 2: Justin's honey almond butter.


This was supposed to be my post-Boot Camp snack :(.



Dinner: Peanut butter protein shake.


I wasn't very hungry for dinner; I was bummed out about missing Boot Camp and my giant car repair bill and I was in a pretty bad mood.  I knew I needed to have something but I wanted something light.  I also wanted to see how the shake would be without using frozen banana like I did last time.  I want to have this for breakfast tomorrow, but I also want to save my fruit portion for after dinner.  My conclusion was that while the shake is certainly better with banana, it's pretty okay without it, especially after I mixed in some cinnamon and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment